Links and Downloads
Moodle: http://wolfware.ncsu.edu/ is a learning management system used by North Carolina State University to aid instructors. In the case of E 115, this system houses all assignments, exams, course policies, grades, and the syllabus. This system will be available for enrolled students only on the first day of classes for the semester.
Microsoft Office: In order to ensure students can complete all assignments as intended, E 115 assignments must be completed using the latest version of Microsoft Office (2016 or above). As of October 13, 2020, Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac will stop receiving updates. Downloading the Office 365 apps as instructed below should be a suitable replacement that will continue to receive updates.
|Type of Program||Windows (8 and above)||Mac (OS X and above)||Linux||Where will I use this program?|
|Web Browser||Firefox||Firefox||Firefox||Requirement for enrolled students for using the E 115 website and Moodle browsing.|
|Terminal Access||PuTTY||Terminal (built in): Accessing NFS||Terminal (built in): Accessing NFS||Unix chapters, and for in-class use.|
|File Transfer System||FileZilla*||FileZilla* or CyberDuck||FileZilla*||Unix chapters, and for in-class use.|
|Remote Desktop Protocol||Built in||Remote Desktop App||RDP Client||Not required. Used for remote access to on-campus environments or programs.|
|Text Editor||Notepad ++ *latest version* (64-bit x64 will work best for most users)||BBEdit (formerly TextWrangler). Older macs click here.||Gedit||XHTML, CSS, and Styling.|
|Microsoft Office Suite (Download**, not online)||Office||Office||LibreOffice||Word will be used for assignment instructions, Excel used for Spreadsheets chapter.|
*The Lab computers in LMP 201 are Windows machines, and are already installed with the following softwares: WinSCP (a file transfer system, which is similar to FileZilla), Putty (the terminal window for Windows), the text editor Notepad ++, and Microsoft Office Suite.*
* FileZilla Setup Instructions:
- Click “Download FileZilla Client” (NOT the Server version!) and choose the standard version. DO NOT DOWNLOAD the “sponsored” file or you may download a package with adware.
- The site should automatically determine which platform you are using (Windows, Mac, etc.). Click the download button.
- Run the installer that was downloaded
- Make sure you know where the application is being installed to
- Open the site manager (Top left icon)
- Click “New Site”
- Add required information:
- Host: remote.eos.ncsu.edu
- Protocol: SFTP
- Logon Type: Ask for Password
- User: your unityID
- Password: blank, application will prompt for password when you connect
- Optional: Rename the site (Recommended name: NCSU)
- Click “Connect”
- Enter Password
** Microsoft Office Download Instructions:
- NC State students receive a free copy of Microsoft Office 365, which contains Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Go to: office365.ncsu.edu.
- Sign in with your Unity ID and password.
- You should now be signed into Office 365 with your NCSU account. Ideally, you should not use the online version of Microsoft Office, i.e. “Office 365” to complete assignments for this class. The locally installed version is preferable. To do this, you should click “Install Office” in the top right to install the Office 365 apps locally onto your computer, so that you can use the programs without internet access.
- Select “Office 365 apps” from the dropdown menu. This will begin downloading an installer that will install the entire Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) onto your computer. You can do this on as many computers as you like.
- Run the installer to set up the Microsoft Office Applications. You may be asked to sign in upon opening any of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Sign in with your Unity ID and password.